Thousand Island Salsa | This is our spin on a “traditional” Thousand Island dressing. Well…not so traditional. We tweak it just a bit, but in the end you’re rewarded with a dynamite secret sauce (with no unhealthy oils) that you would lick clean out of Bruin’s bowl. We’d bet the doghouse on it!
- Mayonnaise - ½ cup
- Ketchup - 1 heaping tablespoon
- Red Wine Vinegar - ½ teaspoon
- Cherry Tomatoes - 1 tablespoon (2), minced
- Shallot - 1 tablespoon (1 small), minced, blanched
- Sweet Pickle - 2 tablespoons, minced
- Prepared Horseradish - ¾ teaspoon
- Sumac - ¼ teaspoon
- Salt - ⅓ teaspoon
- Cut up your tomato and pickles.
- Finely mince the shallot...and we mean finely!
- Add all the other ingredients, except the shallots to the mixing bowl.
- Fill the saucepan with 2 inches of water, give it a pinch of salt, and bring it to a boil over medium-high.
- Toss the minced shallots in for just 1 minute.
- Strain them completely (pressing down with a back of a spoon to get the water out if you need to).
- Now add the shallots to the mixing bowl as well.
- Stir it all up and season to taste with a little extra salt. You're all set!
* Blanching the shallot actually is important - it takes away the bitterness and makes it work just right with the other players.
* Instead of buying a whole jar of sweet pickles, just grab a few slices at your grocery store's salad bar.
* This dressing goes great with any salad or even as a dipping sauce.