Steamed Broccoli Crema | Want to know the easiest way to eat your veggies? Stir in some sour cream. Yea yea, we know it kinda negates the purpose, but you’d be surprised what awesome concoctions you can whip up in the kitchen. We’ve experimented a lot. A LOT. And one of the best tasting veggie-sour cream combos is the humble broccoli. It’s dynamite.
* Serve this on anything you'd normally eat with sour cream.
- Broccoli - 1 large head
- Sour Cream - 8 ounces
- Garlic - 1 clove, finely minced
- Lemon Juice - 1 tablespoon
- Lime Juice - ½ tablespoon
- Cumin - ¼ teaspoon
- Ground Ginger - ¼ teaspoon
- Sumac - ¼ teaspoon
- Sugar - ⅛ teaspoon
- White Pepper - ⅛ teaspoon
- Salt - ¾ teaspoon
- Saute Pan - medium, with cover
- Food Processor
- Mixing Bowl - medium
- Rubber Spatula
- Ok, so we are just going to use the stems for this recipe. So cut off the florets and save them for another use.
- Then slice the stems into thin rings (about ⅓" thick). We need one large cup of sliced stems.
- Mince up your garlic.
- Get all your juices and spices measured out.
- Fill your mixing bowl with ice water. That's your ice bath.
- Fill your saute pan up with ½" of water, put it over high heat, and bring the water to a boil.
- Toss in the broccoli stems, cover the pan, and cook until the stems are fork tender - about 8 minutes.
- Now strain the broccoli and drop the whole strainer directly into your ice bath. Let it cool for just 1 minute (we do this to preserve the bright green color!).
- Add the broccoli to the food processor, along with the garlic, citrus juices, spices, sugar and salt.
- Turn the machine on and let it run for 1 full minute or until you have a paste (it should look like a pesto).
- Now add the sour cream and pulse the machine 6 to 7 times to just mix it all together.
- Season to taste and that's it! Enjoy.
* Be super unique and make this crema. We serve it on tacos for a cool twist.
* We like to balance the sweetness of the lemon with the bitterness from the lime. If you want an extra kick, add more lime (and ground ginger too).