Scallopy Brine | We have always loved to cook scallops, but our lives changed when we started brining them! Sure, we’ve brined a ton of stuff before, but we just never thought about applying it to our favorite little sea creatures. The final product is even more tasty and sweet…I know, it’s hard to imagine!
- Sea Scallops - Varies, muscle removed
- Water - 3 cups
- Red Wine Vinegar - 1 tablespoon
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Fennel Seed - 1 teaspoon
- Yellow Mustard Seed - 1 teaspoon
- Peppercorn Melange - 1 teaspoon
- Sugar - ½ tablespoon
- Salt - 1½ tablespoon
- Measuring Cup
- Saute Pan - small, ovenproof
- Dutch Oven - small
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Put the fennel seeds, mustard seeds and peppercorn melange in the saute pan.
- Toss it in the oven for 5 minutes to toast.
- Measure 3 cups of agua and pour it into the dutch oven.
- Add the toasted spices and all the other ingredients.
- Put it over high heat, bring it to a boil, and let it boil for just 30 seconds.
- Take the dutch off the heat and let it cool completely - this can take up to 30 minutes.
- Then toss in your scallops and brine them for just 10 minutes. That's it!
* If you don't have a dutch oven, just use a small sauce pot.
* Remember, don't brine scallops too long or else they'll become little salt bombs.