Pickled Onion Jamboree | Pickled onion recipes are common. We’ll give you that. So common in fact, we just couldn’t sit by and try the run of the mill pass at these beauties. So we made them even better. So much better in fact, we’d put these babies on our cereal if people didn’t look at us like we had three heads…
- Red Onion - 1, medium, quartered, finely sliced
- Lime Juice - ¾ cup (about 10 small limes)
- Sherry Vinegar - ¼ cup
- Whole Celery Seed - ½ teaspoon
- Peppercorn Melange - 1 teaspoon
- Caraway Seed - 1 teaspoon
- Yellow Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Sugar - 4 tablespoons
- Salt - 2 tablespoons
- Start by slicing up your onion and toss it in your mixing bowl.
- Put everything else in the sauce pan and bring it to a boil.
- Let it boil for 2 minutes and stir to dissolve the sugar and salt.
- Take the pan off the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Pour the mix over the onion in the bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
* Let the liquid cool a bit before you pour it over the onions - you just don't want it smoking hot or else it could break down the flesh.
* Let the flavors get to know each other for those 4 hours. That's kinda important.