Jumbo Crab Tater Tots | Get ready. This recipe is about to make you a hit on game day…and you thought Katy Perry was big. Once you make this one you’ll never look back. Trust us. These are simple crab tater tots rolled in instant mashed potatoes and panko, then quickly fried to crispy perfection. Oh, and then we serve them alongside our quick cocktail sauce, to really make this a winner.
* Serve these right away while they're nice & crispy!
- Ketchup - ⅓ cup
- Prepared Horseradish - 1 tablespoon
- Lemon Juice - ½ teaspoon
- Salt - ⅛ teaspoon
- Jumbo Lump Crab Meat - 8 ounces
- Egg - 1
- Instant Mashed Potatoes - 3½ cups
- Panko Breadcrumbs - 1½ cups
- Saltines - 5 tablespoons
- Sour Cream - 2 tablespoons
- Adobo Sauce - 3 teaspoons
- Lemon Zest - 1 tablespoon, garnish
- Salt - ½ teaspoon
- This is really tough. Mix everything together in a bowl.
- Season to taste with salt. You're good to go.
- Keep it in the fridge until you're ready to serve.
- Make your instant mashed potatoes - you need a normal sized package - yields about 3½ cups. This is the kind we use,
- Then line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Crush the saltines and toss them in the small mixing bowl with 1 cup of the panko.
- In the large mixing bowl, mix together the instant mashed potatoes, the remaining ½ cup of the panko, crab meat, egg, sour cream, adobo, and a ¼ teaspoon of the salt. If anything, the mix should feel a tad dry. You don't want it too wet.
- Now take a spoon and scoop out about ½ a spoonful of the crab mix into your hand - if you have a scale, it should be just about 0.8 ounces.
- Then roll the mix into little cylinders in the palm of your hand, until they look like this,
- Drop it in the panko bowl and with your other (dry) hand, toss the crumbs over the tot to coat it completely.
- Place each tater tot onto the sheet pan. You should get at least 40.
- Then toss the pan in the freezer for 15 minutes for the tots to firm up.
- While the tots are firming up, heat up the oil in the dutch oven over medium-high heat until it reaches 360 degrees.
- Take the tots out of the freezer.
- We are going to fry them in batches of 5 to 6 so we don't crowd the pan or drop our oil temperature too much. So pick a tot up in each hand, hold it close to the surface of the oil, and gently drop it in. Give them space.
- Fry each tot for 3 minutes, turning them a couple times with the spider, until they're crispy and delicious!
- Fish them out with the spider to drain on a paper towel.
- Season them with a little salt and lemon zest.
* These are our #1 game day treat. Be a cooking MVP this football season.
* Remember, crowding the pan is the #1 mistake when frying. Take your time and you'll get the best results.
* This cocktail sauce is super easy to scale up. Just season to taste as you go along.