Jalapeno Buttermilk Ranch Dressing | The secret to our buttermilk ranch dressing? Let the buttermilk curdle. Don’t worry about it going bad. You know why? It’s already bad! It’s been jacked up with bacteria (aka Lactobacillus) and been allowed to ferment at warmer temperatures to produce lactic acid. That’s why it tastes tangy. In fact, we like to use the whey (the leftover liquid after it heats up) because it’s healthier and has a more neutral flavor. Also, by allowing the buttermilk to warm and separate, it gives our spices a chance to infuse their flavor!
Someone paid attention in science class. Just sayin’.
- Buttermilk - ½ cup
- Egg Yolk - 1
- Mayonnaise - 3 tablespoons
- Sour Cream - 4 tablespoons
- Lemongrass - ¾ teaspoon, grated
- Jalapeno - 1 teaspoon, deseeded, grated
- Shallot - 1 teaspoon, grated
- Garlic - 1 clove, grated
- Lemon Juice - ½ teaspoon
- Chicken Bouillon Powder - ¼ teaspoon
- Italian Seasoning - ¼ teaspoon
- Yellow Mustard Powder - ¼ teaspoon
- Sumac - ¼ teaspoon
- Pepper - ¼ teaspoon
- Sugar - ¾ teaspoon
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Ok let's do this. Peel your shallot and garlic clove. Trash any bitter, inner green layers.
- Slice off the stem and deseed your jalapeno.
- Take the lemongrass and cut off a piece about 4 inches long, then trash a couple of the outer fibrous layers.
- Now grab that microplane and grate the lemongrass on the cut-side. You want just ¾ teaspoon.
- Then grate the jalapeno flesh-side down. You don't want any of the skin.
- Then grate your shallot and garlic.
- Lastly, get all your spices measured out.
- Pour the buttermilk into the sauce pan and add the italian seasoning, chicken bouillon, mustard powder, sumac and pepper. This is what chicken bouillon looks like,
- Give it all a big stir.
- Put the pan on medium heat and cook the buttermilk until the whey separates from the solids and it looks like melted butter - about 5 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and pour the buttermilk into a separate mixing bowl so it cools quicker.
- In the other mixing bowl, add the egg, mayonnaise, sour cream, grated lemongrass, jalapeno, shallot, garlic, lemon juice, sugar and salt.
- Whisk it all up, then slowly whisk in just 2 tablespoons of the cooled buttermilk/spice mix.
- Give it a taste and season with extra sugar and salt. Voila!
* Do you know that whey protein powder is very popular among bodybuilders? It has something like 9 important proteins.
* Sugar is key in this recipe. Make sure to add just enough to balance any bitter notes.
* We would drink this stuff out of an old boot, so put it on anything you would normally eat with ranch.
* Feel free to use straight buttermilk. You'll have a thicker final product and make sure to season to taste...it won't be as healthy for you though 🙂