Cucumber Square Salad | I used to eat cucumbers like snickers when I was kid. I wouldn’t even peel them – I’d walk around holding them like a candy bar for my afternoon snack. They’ll always be one of my favorite fruits because they don’t need any help to taste good…and most people don’t even realize they’re a fruit at all!
Here we stick to our simple guns and add just a handful of flavor buddies to make our favorite snack even better.
* Serve this chilled or at room temperature.
- Cucumber - 1, half peeled, brunoise
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil - 1 tablespoon
- Oregano Leaves - 2 tablespoons, torn
- Sumac - ¼ teaspoon
- Black Truffle Salt - 1¼ teaspoons
- Take that cuke, peel half of it (yes, just half) and then cut it in half crosswise.
- Now slice off a small part of each half so it has a flat side to sit on.
- Then slice each half lengthwise, then slice lengthwise again to remove the seeds.
- Discard the seeds and brunoise the remaining pieces of cucumber.
- Toss the squares in the bowl, stir in the oil and spices and mix well. Let it sit in the fridge for at least an hour.
- After that, season to taste and you're all set! Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature.
* This quick salad can be served cold for a cool temperature contrast on the plate.
* The reason we leave half the cucumber unpeeled is to add a little more texture.
* You can find black truffle salt at your specialty grocery store in the bulk section. Just buy what you need.